Monday, July 18, 2011

Hot Monday

As I sit here writing it is near 8:30am. I have been up for 3 hours, and the heat index has been in the 90's the entire morning. Maybe needless to say, I will be staying in my dark, cool basement for the remainder of the day. Probably the week, if it continues like this.

On the plus side, that means I will probably get a lot of tatting done this week, if Turkey doesn't drive me bonkers in confined spaces.

I visited Joann's fabrics over July 4th and went a little crazy in their sewing section. I found a lot of different color varieties and thread types and I am curious to try them. So far, Polyester sparkle thread is a BIG pain since it doesn't slide very well at all, but I'm trying to think of creative ways to use it now that I own it. I don't like to waste.

 My next try was rayon variegated green. FUN! But it took me maybe 8 hours to do this motif. And it's maybe 3 1/2 inches across. So, not too excited, but anxious to try double threads.
My next try is going to be with the variegated Lizbeth purple thread, shown above. We've only had this available in our area for a few months now, and this will be my first try working with it. I hope it lives up to all the hype, dear blogging friends. :)
 Meanwhile, I am going to finish this necklace if I can today. That all depends on remembering my stitch count. I'm working freshwater pearls into the lace, so I'd better remember quickly!

 Monday chores mean watering my African violets, a legacy from my grandfather who passed away in February.
He was working on propagating these purple/white violets when he passed. I think I'm going to continue the tradition if my husband doesn't get too annoyed with violets all over the house!

Have a wonderful Monday!

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother always had african violets and when she passed away, I got them. I've had them for 15 years and I know they were in her house for many years as well. They are so fun and cheery plus it's nice to have the reminder.
    I love the variegated green motif, is that your own pattern? It's very nice and "worth the time".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty motif. I have often looked at all the different threads in the sewing section and wondered how they would tat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I like about Lizbeth is that the multi-color are coordinated with solids (so Caribbean goes w/ colors 641, 652 & 662).

    ReplyDelete